Saturday, April 18, 2020

Social distancing and golf

By Steve Gordon

I last played golf on Monday, March 30th. I think that was the date but the days run together these days with the stay at home rules and self quarantine rules (and being retired). It seems like it was ages ago, but it was only 20 days.

You can only mow the lawn so much and do limited yard work and cleaning the house. I guess our homes should be immaculate and the lawn and garden weed free. A couple weeks ago I did tear my two car garage apart, cleaned out the loose impediments and actually tossed stuff in the trash. I did not just take stuff out and put it all back where it came from. I made that last several days and I felt good about it.

So, I played at Frog Hollow in Middletown, Delaware with my long time golf partner who lives in Northern Virginia. It was an easy drive down I-95 for me as well as for him coming from the other direction, especially with limited traffic. The weather was pretty nice and we liked the golf course and the two guys we were paired with (ironically from Pennsylvania) were fun and made it a nice day on the golf course.

They allowed two players in a cart unlike some places that limited one person to a cart or two bags but one players had to walk and not ride in the cart. For our day because of cart path only and a little extra exercise cart partners walked with a couple of clubs in hand while the other motored the cart down the blacktop. It was natural social distancing at it's best and certainly better than heading out in public to shop. It was even safer than multiple people walking trails in public parks.

I found this on Facebook and it is so appropriate.

Image may contain: outdoor and text

After we finished we saw the owner in the pro shop and he informed us that while we were out the rules changed there and that they could only accept in state residents to play. I guess the individual courses were left to enforce this themselves, and I am sure they all did. I heard second hand that state troopers in Delaware were periodically checking for out of state cars in parking lots of places that were open. Scary when you think what could happen if they catch you on the highway.

A friend wrote about it on his web site.  http://www.golfbuckscounty.com/

Here is something I found on Facebook that depicts the issue fits a story of some guys from Massachusetts who got caught playing golf in Rhode Island that has the same rules as Delaware and penalties of up to $500 or 90 days in jail.

Image may contain: 2 people, possible text that says 'WHAT ARE YOU IN FOR? 302 GOT CAUGHT GOLFING...'

The bottom line is here in Pennsylvania and New Jersey where much of my golf is played, we won't be playing for a while longer. The Golf Association of Philadelphia, which has member clubs in the entire Delaware Valley area, is petitioning for reopening golf courses and have in place social distancing guidelines. It probably would include prepaid rounds online, no pro shop or food services but bathroom access. Also no touching flag poles and protections for reaching into the cup to retrieve a golf ball.

It's a waiting game, but while I'm waiting the Mad Golfer (an independent pro shop, mini golf and driving range near me) has the range open and set up to be totally self serve. Balls can be retrieved from the dispensers with a credit card and all the balls and baskets are sanitized before going back into service for customers. Parking spaces are separated as are some of the stalls. It's the only game in town, but on the plus side it is a perfect time to practice and keep the muscles loose.

Some local course operators have expressed hope to reopen on May 1st while others are thinking May 15th. The COVID-19 threat however doesn't work on a time table and no one knows. A knowledgeable source I know said he had heard June 1st.

It boggles the mind how being out in open air in small groups where social distancing on the course is almost a natural event isn't deemed safe.  At least that's how I am thinking.

1 comment:

  1. Nice read buddy. We will play before the end of May.
    Garney

    ReplyDelete