Friday, May 22, 2020

Rakes or no rakes

By Steve Gordon

Every golfer has an opinion on something to do with the game.

Water hazards are now penalty areas. I think that's dumb but that's me.

Some like the stroke and distance rule. I like the new rule that can be used as a local rule on dropping and hitting from a spot near a lost ball and a two stroke penalty. It's basically the same thing only you don't have to hit the shot you just mishit again. Certainly speeds up play and for the recreational golfer...well he is probably going to do that anyway under the relaxed rules local groups play by.

The list can go on about getting in a divot when you hit a good tee shot, hitting a ball off a root, loose impediments, etc.

How about the current situation where rakes have been taken away from bunkers? Do you like it or do you think rakes should come back? Should it be a course by course thing or universal for all courses?

Here is my take. I am sure I am probably in a minority but I like bunkers without rakes. A bunker is a hazard being strategically placed around the course to catch errant shots. Not every shot should find itself sitting up nicely on grass.

Imagine a course without any bunkers. Sure, there are holes (the 14th at Augusta National for instance) that have no bunkers but those are few. But an entire course with no bunkers? Even pitch and putt courses have some bunkers.

Back to my position. Without rakes you would potentially get a bad lie in a bunker. Yeah, so what. If you hit into the rough you aren't guaranteed to get a smooth lie and if you hit into the woods you aren't guaranteed to get a lie that isn't on a root or on pine straw or in leaves or a bush or underlying growth.

If you make a divot you are requested to fix it but not all golfers do. Same with ball marks, but we are allowed to fix those. My point is a player can smooth over sand after playing out of it with a club or a foot. I think I saw DJ do it in the skins game at Seminole actually.

I have heard comments about putting rakes in carts and that isn't a bad idea but what about people who still like to walk? Not everyone takes a cart. I have also heard some say no rakes but let people take preferred lies in bunkers. It's a hazard people. Do the rules let you improve your lie in the rough or move a ball out of a divot in the fairway?

Just my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment